TRAI releases Telecommunication Tariff (68th Amendment) Order, 2022 on "Regulatory framework for USSD-based tariff"- (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) (07 Apr 2022)
Media and Communication
1. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has today released Telecommunication Tariff (68th Amendment) Order, 2022 on "Regulatory framework for USSD-based tariff".
2. TRAI had earlier issued the Telecommunication Tariff (56th Amendment) Order dated 22nd November 2013 prescribing a ceiling tariff of Rs. 1.50 per USSD session for USSD-based mobile banking service. Subsequently, the Authority through Telecommunication Tariff (61st Amendment) Order, 2016 reduced USSD-based tariff for banking and payment services ceiling from Rs. 1.50 to Rs. 0.50 per session.
3. In order to review the existing regulatory framework for USSD based tariffs, the Authority issued draft Telecommunication Tariff (66th Amendment) Order on 24th November, 2021 whereby proposing 'Nil' charge for USSD sessions for mobile banking and payment services. The comments and counter comments on the same were invited from the stakeholders by 8th December 2021 and 17th December 2021 respectively.
4. After analysing the comments received from stakeholders and other data/information available with it, the Authority is of the view that, to protect the interests of the USSD users and to promote digital financial inclusion, rationalization of USSD charges is required. In view of the same, the Authority has decided that the subscribers will not be charged for USSD for mobile banking and payment service. The Authority will continue to keep a watch on the progress of service and may review the charge after a period of two years.
Tags : TELECOMMUNICATION TARIFF RELEASE
2. TRAI had earlier issued the Telecommunication Tariff (56th Amendment) Order dated 22nd November 2013 prescribing... For read more news from newsroom.manupatra.com"data-action="share/whatsapp/share" class="ic_wtsp-grid">