Sectoral Deployment of Bank Credit - December 2022- (Reserve Bank of India) (31 Jan 2023)
Data on sectoral deployment of bank credit for the month of December 20221 collected from 40 select scheduled commercial banks, accounting for about 93 per cent of the total non-food credit deployed by all scheduled commercial banks, are set out in Statements I and II.
On a year-on-year (y-o-y) basis, non-food bank credit2 registered a growth of 15.3 per cent in December 2022 as compared with 9.4 per cent a year ago.
Highlights of the sectoral deployment of bank credit are given below:
• Credit to agriculture and allied activities rose by 11.5 per cent (y-o-y) in December 2022 as compared with 14.2 per cent a year ago.
• Credit growth to industry improved to 8.7 per cent (y-o-y) in December 2022 from 7.3 per cent in December 2021. Size-wise, credit growth to large industry increased by 7.0 per cent as compared with a growth of 1.1 per cent a year ago. Credit growth to medium industries was 15.4 per cent in December 2022 against 64.6 per cent last year. Credit to micro and small industries registered a growth of 13.7 per cent in December 2022 (24.5 per cent a year ago).
• Within industry, credit growth to 'all engineering', 'basic metal & metal products', 'beverage & tobacco', 'cement & cement products', 'chemicals & chemical products', 'construction', 'glass & glassware', 'gems & jewellery', 'vehicles, vehicle parts & transport equipment' and 'wood & wood products' accelerated in December 2022 as compared with the corresponding month of the previous year. Credit growth to 'food processing', 'infrastructure', 'leather & leather products', 'mining & quarrying', 'petroleum, coal products & nuclear fuels', 'paper & paper products', 'rubber, plastic & their products' and 'textiles' decelerated.
• Credit to services sector rose by 19.6 per cent (y-o-y) in December 2022 as compared with 10.2 per cent a year ago, primarily due to the improved credit offtake to 'NBFCs'.
• Personal loans grew by 20.2 per cent (y-o-y) in December 2022 from 14.9 per cent a year ago, largely driven by 'housing' and 'vehicle loans'.
Tags : SECTORAL DEPLOYMENT BANK CREDIT DATA