Issuance of digital insurance policies by insurance companies via Digilocker- (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority) (09 Feb 2021)
1. Digilocker is an initiative under the Digital India program by the Government of India where citizens can get authentic documents/certificate in digital format from original issuers of these certificates. It aims at eliminating or minimising the use of physical documents and will enhance effectiveness of service delivery, making these hassle free and friendly for the citizens.
2. In the insurance sector, Digilocker will drive reduction in costs, elimination of customer complaints relating to non-delivery of policy copy, improved turn around time of insurance services, faster claims processing and settlement, reduction in disputes, reduction in fraud and improvement in customer contactability. On the whole it is expected that it will lead to better customer experience.
3. In order to promote the adoption of Digilocker in the insurance sector, the Authority advises all insurers to enable their IT systems to interact with Digilocker facility to enable policyholders to use digilocker for preserving all their policy documents.
4. The insurers should inform their retail policyholders about Digilocker and how to use it. Insurers are also advised to enable the process by which the policyholders can place their policies in the digilocker.
5. Digilocker team in NeGD (National e-Governance Division) under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology shall provide necessary technical guidance and logistic support to facilitate adoption of Digilocker. A brief for on-boarding documents and contact details of resource persons in NeGD is annexed.
Tags : ISSUANCE DIGITAL INSURANCE POLICIES DIGILOCKER