Completion of Data Entry in DIGIT- (Ministry of Finance ) (28 Feb 2023)
1. Reference is invited to CBIC Instruction No. 06/2018-Customs dated 02.04.2018 regarding completion of data entry in DIGIT. As per said instructions, all the formations were directed to complete the data entry in DIGIT by 31st March 2018. From 1st April 2018, all the Show Cause Notices (SCNs) and the Order in Original (O-i-O) were also required to be uploaded on DIGIT.
2. DIGIT is India's National Customs Offence Database and serves as the official repository of all cases involving violation of the Customs Act, 1962 (hereinafter also referred as Customs Act), the Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 (hereinafter also referred as NDPS Act) and other Acts being enforced by the Customs formations of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) including the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
3. On examination of data uploaded by various Customs formations on DIGIT, it is noticed that there are some discrepancies vis a vis data available in Monthly Performance Reports (MPRs) as uploaded on DDM portal, and the data available on these two platforms needs to be synchronized. Accordingly, these instructions are being issued in supersession of all the instructions issued earlier, specifying the criteria as to what all needs to be entered in DIGIT and the applicable timelines for the same.
4. Types of Cases to be entered in DIGIT.--
Only those "offence cases" covered under the following categories need to be entered in DIGIT:
A. Cases of Outright smuggling (imports as well as exports) covered under the provisions of the Customs Act, 1962;
B. Cases involving violation of provisions of the Customs Act, 1962 or any other law in the course of imports or exports of goods or misuse of international trade promotion schemes framed by the Central government; and
C. Cases under the provisions of Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, 1985.
An "Offence case" for the purpose of these instructions will mean a case involving two or more of the following actions:
1. Filing of DRI-1 (Recording of Information);
2. Preparation of DRI-2 (Seizure/Detection Intimation Report);
3. Arrest under the Customs Act, 1962 or other Act(s);
4. Search under the Customs Act, 1962 or other Act(s);
5. Summons under the Customs Act, 1962 or other Act(s); and
6. Seizure under the Customs Act, 1962 or other Act(s);
4.1 It is clarified that the cases booked by the Customs formation during the course of normal executive work need not be entered in DIGIT. For illustration, routine cases booked by the Customs officers on international airports involving minor violations of Baggage Rules; or the cases booked by Assessment Groups in Sea Ports, Inland Container Depots (ICDs) and the Air Cargo Complexes (which require spot adjudication) and similar cases booked in courier terminals or foreign post offices need not be entered in DIGIT. Similarly, the detections made by Audit Commissionerates should not be entered in DIGIT.
Tags : COMPLETION DATA ENTRY DIGIT