Sectoral Deployment of Bank Credit - January 2023- (Reserve Bank of India) (28 Feb 2023)
Data on sectoral deployment of bank credit for the month of January 20231 collected from 40 select scheduled commercial banks, accounting for about 93 per cent of the total non-food credit deployed by all scheduled commercial banks, are set out in Statements I and II.
On a year-on-year (y-o-y) basis, non-food bank credit2 registered a growth of 16.7 per cent in January 2023 as compared with 8.3 per cent a year ago.
Highlights of the sectoral deployment of bank credit are given below:
• Credit growth to agriculture and allied activities improved to 14.4 per cent (y-o-y) in January 2023 from 10.4 per cent a year ago.
• Credit to industry registered a growth of 8.7 per cent (y-o-y) in January 2023 as compared with 5.9 per cent in January 2022. Size-wise, credit to large industry grew by 6.5 per cent as compared with 0.2 per cent a year ago. Credit growth of medium industries was 18.1 per cent as against 52.4 per cent last year. Credit to micro and small industries registered a growth of 15.2 per cent in January 2023 (23.3 per cent a year ago).
• Within industry credit growth to 'basic metal & metal products', 'beverage & tobacco', 'cement & cement products', 'chemicals & chemical products', 'food processing', 'glass & glassware', 'mining & quarrying', 'petroleum, coal products & nuclear fuels', 'vehicles, vehicle parts & transport equipment' and 'wood & wood products' accelerated in January 2023 as compared with the corresponding month of the previous year. Credit growth to 'all engineering', 'construction', 'gems & jewellery', 'infrastructure', 'leather & leather products', 'paper & paper products', 'rubber, plastic & their products' and 'textiles' decelerated/contracted.
• Credit to services sector rose by 21.5 per cent (y-o-y) in January 2023 as compared with 5.7 per cent a year ago, primarily due to the improved credit offtake to 'NBFCs'.
• Personal loans growth accelerated to 20.4 per cent (y-o-y) in January 2023 from 12.8 per cent a year ago, largely driven by 'housing' and 'vehicle loans'.
Tags : SECTORAL DEPLOYMENT BANK CREDIT DATA