TRAI releases Consultation Paper on Issues relating to Up-linking and Downlinking of Television Channels in India- (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) (19 Dec 2017)
Media and Communication
1. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has today released a "Consultation Paper on Issues relating to Uplinking and Downlinking of Television Channels in India".
2. For regulating the business of satellite TV channel broadcasting in India, the Central Government has laid down policy guidelines for uplinking of television channels from India, and policy guidelines for downlinking of television channels in India.
3. MIB vide its letter dated 21st August, 2017, stated that the present uplinking and downlinking guidelines which came into effect from 5th December 2011 are now more than 5 years old. Further, MIS also stated that keeping in view the change in technology, market scenarios, and the lesson learnt in the last few years of their operations, there is a need to reviews amend some of the provisions of these guidelines to ensure healthy growth of the broadcasting sector. MIB has sought recommendations of the Authority on various issues relating to permission for uplinking and downlinking of satellite TV channels, and setting up of teleports. TRAI is, accordingly, initiating this consultation process to seek the views of the stakeholders on the issues involved.
4. The full text of the Consultation Paper is available on TRAI's website.
Tags : CONSULTATION PAPER UPLINKING DOWNLINKING TELEVISION CHANNELS
2. For regulating the business of satellite TV channel broadcasting in India, the Central Government has laid down... For read more news from newsroom.manupatra.com"data-action="share/whatsapp/share" class="ic_wtsp-grid">