Department/Board : Press Information Bureau

Date : 01.06.2020

Notification/ Circulars Referred : SO 437(E) dated 12.06.1989 MANU/CNBN/1340/1989;SO 375(E) at 12.05.1997 MANU/RDTH/0002/1997

Citing Reference:
SO 437(E) dated 12.06.1989 MANU/CNBN/1340/1989  Referred

SO 375(E) at 12.05.1997 MANU/RDTH/0002/1997  Referred

Road Ministry issues advisory for implementing Rent a Motor Cab/Cycle Schemes

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued advisory based on the issues received from certain stakeholders in implementing "Rent a Motor Cab/Cycle Schemes" vide No RT-11036/09/2020-MVL(pt-1) dated 01 June 2020 wherein it has been written that -

a. The person driving the Commercial Vehicle carrying the valid driving license /IDP and a copy of license for renting motor cab (Form 3/4) or for the motor cycle (Form 2) of respective scheme should not be insisted for any badge.

b. "Rent-a-motorcycle scheme" be implemented and licenses to the operators may be considered.

c. Further, two-wheeler with license under 'Rent-a-Motorcycle Scheme" be allowed to drive across the States on payment of relevant taxes.

The Ministry vide SO 437(E) dated 12.06.1989 had notified guidelines for Rent-a-cab scheme and SO 375(E) at 12.05.1997 for the Rent-a-motorcycle Scheme, 1997. These Vehicles are used as compared to Taxi services by tourists, corporate officials, business travellers and families on holiday across.